How Do I?
- Comment on proposed regulations
- Learn about upcoming events
- Information on fishing regulations for protected species
- Learn more about endangered species consultations
- Learn more about ESA/MMPA permits and authorizations
- Report a marine mammal or sea turtle stranding
- Find information on whales, dolphins and seals
- Find information on sea turtles
- Learn more about the endangered species consultations
Welcome to the Northeast Regional Office’s Protected Resources Division
We Find Solutions
NOAA works with fishing industry, scientists, and conservation groups to find new solutions for reducing protected species bycatch in fishing gear. Read More . . .
We Conserve Sea Turtles
Managing, conserving, and rebuilding populations of sea turtles from Maine through Virginia. Read More . . .
We Recover Protected Species
(University of Maine) Shortnose sturgeon are listed under the Endangered Species Act as an endangered species throughout their range in the United States. Read More . . .
We Support Healthy Habitats
NOAA staff work with states and other organizations to protect and recover habitats important to endangered fish like Atlantic Salmon. Read More . . .
We Protect Marine Mammals
Our office protects, conserves, and recovers populations of marine mammal by implementing the Marine Mammal Protection Act. Read More . . .
The Protected Resources Division is dedicated to managing, conserving, and rebuilding populations of marine mammals and endangered and threatened marine and anadromous species in rivers, bays, estuaries and marine waters of the Northeast. Through management, conservation and recovery efforts, and public outreach and education under the Marine Mammal Protection Act and Endangered Species Act, we strive to ensure the survival of the protected marine species in the Northeast United States for future generations. Protected Resources Division is comprised of three programs: Marine Mammals and Sea Turtles, Endangered Species Consultations (Section 7), and Endangered Species Act Listed Fish and Species of Concern.
The Northeast Region Protected Resources Division focuses on:
- Marine Mammals (whales, porpoises, dolphins, and seals)
- Sea Turtles
- Atlantic Salmon
- Atlantic Sturgeon
- Shortnose Sturgeon
- Species of Concern/Candidate Species
These species are protected/conserved through various programs, including:
Protected Resources Division Main Office: 978-281-9328
Click here for NERO PRD Organizational Chart