- Science Center
- Councils & Commission
- Contact Us
- News Room
- Commercial Fishing
- Recreational Fishing
- Managed Fisheries
- Tribal Relations
- Public Comments
- Atlantic Herring
- Atlantic Mackerel
- Atlantic Sea Scallop
- Black Sea Bass
- Illex Squid
- Longfin Squid
- NE Multispecies
- NE Skate Complex
- Small Mesh Multispecies (whiting)
- Spiny Dogfish
- Summer Flounder
- Surf Clam/Ocean Quahog
- Butterfish Mortality Cap
- Incidental Golden Tilefish
- Educational Resources
- Public Events
Get Email Updates
Stay informed and learn about our action alerts and news sign up
- Laws and Executive Orders
- Regulatory Compliance Requirements
- Related Links
- Greater Atlantic Region NEPA Organizational Chart
Greater Atlantic Regional Fisheries Office
Environmental Analyses and NEPA Program
The National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) program at the Greater Atlantic Regional Fisheries Office facilitates the compliance of all regional actions with NEPA and other laws/executive orders that require environmental, social, and economic analyses.
NEPA program staff help regional, council, and science center personnel navigate the environmental analysis process to develop quality, timely, and consistent NEPA documentation.
What is NEPA?
- The National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) of 1969 (42 U.S.C. 4321-4347) is our basic national charter for protection of the environment.
- NEPA requires that Federal agencies consider the environmental effects of their actions as well as involve and inform the public in the decision-making process.
How is NEPA implemented at NOAA/NMFS?
- The Council on Environmental Quality (CEQ) set forth regulations (40 CFR Pts. 1500-1508) to assist Federal agencies in implementing NEPA during the planning phases of any federal action.
- These regulations together with NOAA’s own NEPA implementation procedures (NOAA Administrative Order 216-6) help to ensure that the environmental impacts of any proposed decisions are fully considered and that appropriate steps are taken to mitigate potential environmental impacts.
How do I view or comment on NEPA documents from the Greater Atlantic Region?
- Visit our Greater Atlantic Region Federal Register Actions & Public Comments page or Regulations.gov to comment on proposed regulations and see the associated NEPA documentation.
- NEPA documents for Fishery Management Plan actions can also be found on the New England Council and Mid-Atlantic Council websites.
Do you have any resources for NEPA document authors?
- Greater Atlantic Region NEPA Guidance Documents
- Forty Most Asked Questions Concerning CEQ’s NEPA Regulations
- NOAA NEPA Handbook
- Contact a NEPA staff member for one-on-one assistance
- Formal NEPA Training is scheduled on an as needed basis.
- Informal training may be scheduled with the GARFO NEPA Coordinator.
- Check with the GARFO NEPA Coordinator for upcoming training events.
Jennifer Anderson, GARFO NEPA Coordinator
National Marine Fisheries Service
55 Great Republic Drive
Gloucester, MA 01930